- Warm weather – as long as it’s not too warm
- Fiber cereal – because I’m like 100 years old apparently and I love my fiber!
- Fiber bars- for the above mentioned reason
- Coffee-no explanation needed
- My husband- he’s so perfect for me.
- Going to ball games in the summer-a perfect excuse to eat Churro’s and Sunflower Seeds
- Listening to music
- Sitting in the sun reading a book-the perfect idea of relaxation to me…and magazines…I consider magazines a book sometimes. A really shiny book with really good ideas in them.
- Bluetooth-now I can’t tell if people are on the phone or just straight crazy. I always assume crazy, just so you know.
- Tea-I try to like it, but I just don’t. I only like iced tea
- Writer’s block-which is why you’re getting this list.
- Working in the yard-Ew, it’s dirty and there are bugs out there. And maybe snakes.
- Pets-I don’t clean up after animals and I don’t like hair on my carpet and furniture.
- Leaving my fiber bars that I found in a “chewy new flavor” sitting in the cupboard instead of my belly. Bummer.
Today I was making a list of the little things that I love and that make me happy.
It’s always a good thing to do, because it causes my brain to focus on the positive, and if you’re like me, sometimes the old brain up there likes to focus on the negative.
I wonder if it’s ever like that for God?
I know that seems like a silly question, but I really do wonder.
And this is why…
Today, so many things in my life are going right and there is one little nagging issue that won’t leave my mind, and yes, that one issue happens to be a person.
Oh, one more thing to add to the list, I’m thankful that God didn’t put it in the Bible that we have to all be friends with one another.
BUT, he did say that we all have to love one another, just as he loves us.
Bummer for me, because I don’t always want to love everyone. I would rather look at the mistakes they have made with a magnifying glass and justify why I want nothing to do with them. And in my own mind, there is quite a list going right now. 101 reasons why I don’t like…oh, wait, do I have to stop at 101?????
Just kidding. Mostly.
So, here it is, in no particular order, just the ramblings of how this all came together in my mind today.
I don’t like someone that I, in my humble opinion have given plenty of opportunity to redeem themselves. They have come and gone out of my life numerous times and each time I’ve become a bit more guarded and unhappy when they show back up. I’m trying to be godly and love them and accept them with open arms, but when do I do that and when do I guard my heart? And how do I do that at the same time!
Oh, the conundrum that I’m in, people!
And how do I love as Christ loved when I don’t feel like it?
And then I started wondering if Jesus always FEELS like loving me.
Ugh…probably not with my stinky attitude and the way I sometimes ignore Him and the way I try to do all these things on my own and then blame Him when things go wrong.
In my life, I’ve been sincerely trying to show love and even some “like” for someone-because you know like and love are 2 WAAAAYYYYY different things-and just when I’m feeling all proud of myself, they do something else that makes me roll my eyes, hit my palm to my forehead and think, “for the love of God, I’m trying to like you here, throw me a bone and help me OUT!!!!”
And then I think of all the ways God probably sits up there on His throne doing the same thing to me…I bet sometimes He and His angels just shake their heads and laugh, because what else can they do? ( Besides strike us all down with lightning, of course!)
And it makes me realize that none of us are perfect and we all have struggles and we have to have patience for one another.
But, above all of that, we have to have love for one another, even when we don’t FEEL like it.
So, I will go the extra mile and show love when I feel irritated.
When I’m thinking mean thoughts, I will stop myself and pray blessings over their life.
I will remember all the times that someone showed love and grace for me when I really didn’t deserve it and how much it meant to me and helped me grow into the person I am today and be thankful. I will let that be the fuel that pushes me to be the someone showing grace this time around.
Because before you know it, I’ll be that person again that needs it and I’ll be praying that there is someone there to show me a little extra compassion, even when I’ve messed up 1,000 times and will mess up 1,000 more.
34-35“Let me give you a new command: Love one another. In the same way I loved you, you love one another. This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other.”
And this song says it perfect:
“I know I still make mistakes, but You have new mercies for me every day. Your love never fails!” – Anthony Skinner
And I want to be a living example of this song, even if in my humanness I don’t, in my soul, I do!